Friday, September 12, 2008

North Indian Lamb Curry

This is definitely one of my best curry experience.



I rushed back from my office around 830pm, still thinking to cook this or just skip this for another day, since I have all the instant mee needed in my kitchen. However, I eventually decided that we deserved a better meal after a long day hard work, so I quickily made a trip to HDB makmak stall down stair to buy the bay leaves and cinnamon sticks and all other ingredients, INDIVIDUALLY.....then the stall owner said:"Eh, ah moi, u know what...you can actually buy them all in one packet." My eyes were all popped out:"What the....!" So I bought a pack of all the required spices, with just $1.20.

And then in my kitchen, I still own these:
So much of them! I do not know when can I finish them all but I know, rest assure they will be in my kitchen for a very lo.........nngggggg time.

Nevermind the mistake, (which I bought for previous pineapple curry) I still cook with my pride. Here is the final outcome:

SERVES 2
500g lamb, trimmed of fat and cut into pieces
1/4 cup oil


All in one packet: (You can buy it in any makmak stall for a very cheap price tag. )
4 bay leaves
4 cardamom seeds
4 (2 inch) cinnamon sticks
4-6 whole cloves

5 star anise ( 八角)
1 1/2 large onions, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh ginger paste
2 teaspoons minced garlic
3 carrot, cut into big pieces(optional)
salt
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoons coriander powder
2 teaspoons garam masala (印度香料)
1 cup diced tomato (you can have more of these for thicker sauce paste)
1/3 cup plain yogurt (must-have ingredient!)

Heat oil in large pan; add bay leaves, cardamom, cinnamon stick , star anise and cloves.
When leaves begin to sizzle and fragrance starts to release, add onions and saute until light golden, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
Stir in the ginger paste, garlic, and lamb.
Season the lamb with salt; continue cooking, stirring mix, for about 5 minutes more, adding a little water if necessary to keep food from sticking.
Add turmeric, coriander powder and garam masala; stir for 5 minutes, adding 2 tablespoons water.
Add diced tomatoes, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Then add 4 cups of water and simmer for 1hour, or until meat is getting tender.
Lower heat.
Whisk the yogurt with a fork; and add to the pot slowly.
Then cook another 30 mins until meat is done to your liking and sauce is thickened.
Serve with rice.
Tips: Cook till tender, leave overnight for better taste because the curry will settle down and seep into the lamb meat, makes it even tastier.

I cooked more than 2 servings of this, so I kept some for breakfast with cholesterol-free prata the next day!
See? So healthy we are. ;)

2 comments:

Rudra said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe..
its turns out excellent,fantantic superb...
cooked lamb for first time and it worth the try!!!
simply awesome.

Rajasthantraveling said...

Good job dear I like your way to present your opinion.I like your blog its very attractive.India is such a wonderful place to travel the adventure tours, Historical monuments, safari tours, Himalayas tracking tours and many more thousands of visitors came across the world to travel India. Tour Packages to North India

Similar Food

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin