Thursday, April 2, 2009

Braised Drumlets with Mushrooms & Figs

A few days ago, I read this article about food that effectively reduce the risk of getting cancers. After reading, I feel lucky that I am a vege lovers, take no pains to add vege into my daily diet.

For this recipe that my Mum taught me, I reinvented it to add in figs & carrot because a dish with pure meat ingredients does scare me a little bit. (I want to reduce the risk of getting cancers as well. :p) Also, I intended to braise it with chestnuts but couldn't find them in my fridge so figs came in. I thought that they would add some sweetness & layers of flavours into the dish and do the same job that chestnuts would.



Serve 4

Ingredients:
1 carrot, skinned and chopped in chunks
9 drumlets
16 Chinese dried mushrooms, soaked into water with sugar to soften and stalks removed (retain the water)
10 Fresh Figs, washed
1 thumb of ginger, peeled & sliced
some water
3/4 tbsp of dark soy sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce & oyster sauce
Oil
Cornstarch
small handful of wolfberry fruit, washed & drained
Parsley for garnishing

Marinate drumlets for 30 mins using:
1 tbsp of light soy sauce
some cornstarch
some white pepper
some sesame oil
a dash of oyster sauce
1 tbsp of Chinese cooking wine (绍兴酒)

Method:
  1. Fry ginger with sesame oil till fragrant.
  2. Fry drumlets, abt 2 mins.
  3. Saute the mushrooms, figs & carrots for 1 min.
  4. Add in the water retained from the mushrooms & additional water if required to cover the vegetables.
  5. Add in the oyster & light soy sauce, simmer for 15mins.
  6. The liquid in the pot should be lesser than half and is thick.
  7. Add in light soy sauce/salt if you like.
  8. Garnish with wolfberry fruit & parsley.
  9. Serve with rice.

Figs & Health

Figs are one of the highest plant sources of calcium and fiber. According to USDA data for the Mission variety, dried figs are richest in fiber, copper, manganese, magnesium, potassium, calcium, and vitamin K, relative to human needs. Also, they have a laxative effect and contain many antioxidants.

In one study, a 40-gram portion of dried figs (two medium size figs) produced a significant increase in plasma antioxidant capacity.




8 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

Is this a Indian Chinese dish? Didn't know fig and wolfberry could be cooked together....

Marta said...

Wow! Looks amazing! I'll try anything with figs in it! Great job, thanks!

homeladychef said...

Hi Angie, I don't know that fig is associated with Indian food though. It's not my intention to make it that way, haha! Just happened that I had some figs lefts so they are now in the dish. :p

Thanks Marta!

Sweetiepie said...

wow!fig in a savoury dish.what a great idea.would love to try :)

homeladychef said...

Thanks sweetiepie :)

Food For Tots said...

May I know where can I get fresh figs? Want to use it to boil soup. Will definitely try your recipe if I can get figs. Looks so delicious. :)

homeladychef said...

Hi Food for tots, do u mean the fresh ones or the dry ones? For fresh ones, I have no ideas cos I am using the dry ones, which could be found in any provision shops or TCM outlets, roughly $1.50 per pack of says 30pc? Hope this will help. :)

Maria said...

Hello!

I saw your blog and thought it had great recipes and awesome pictures! I therefore would like to invite you to our new culinary website which has just started.

This is how it works in short. TastyQuery.com is a website for food bloggers and their fans allowing them to automatically collect recipes from your food blog. It's a large database of links to recipes on food blogs. Everyone can join us for free.

For more please visit:
http://tastyquery.com

TastyQuery.com is an English version of our main website called "Mikser Kulinarny", founded in Poland. "Mikser Kulinarny" has a large audience (over 2 mln unique visitors monthly) and with TastyQuery.com we want to repeat that success and drive thousands of new visitors to your food blog.

In case of any questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

best regards

Similar Food

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin