Friday, May 15, 2009

5 mins Soba for Breakfast

To combat the heat lately, we had cold soba for brunch.

Soba is the Japanese word for buckwheat, 荞麦. Unlike pasta, soba are rinsed rather vigorously in cold running water. By doing this, not only it will cool them down but also get rid of excess starch, which in turn adversely affect the flavor of soba. It is easy to prepare and nice to eat. To prepare this meal, you need less than 5 mins.

Method

Just put dry soba into boiling water, cook them for 3 - 5 mins (refer to package instruction for exact cooking time). While waiting, chop some spring onions.

When they are done, wash them under running water, drain and put in a pot of cold water, take out. Sprinkle spring onions on top. Serve with soba sauce.

Other alternatives for garnishing: dry shredded seaweed, sesame seeds, katsuo-bushi (bonito-flakes).

For the soba sauce, I bought the ready-made sauce, which comes in a bottle, cost $5.60 for 8-10 servings, bought in Meidy-ya. Some Cold Storage outlets have it too, nonetheless, Meidi-ya has more varieties. Soba sauce is a mixture of mirin, soy sauce, kombu (dry kelp) & others.

In our case, we added a bit of wasabi into the sauce. You may like it too. Dip soba into sauce and eat.

9 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

I love soba, esp. stir-fry one, with lots of shredded vegetables, chicken and mushrooms.
You might not believe it: I bought tian mian jiang last time when I was back for a holiday. So far I haven't found it in Asian stores here.

Cindy Khor said...

i'm so gonna try and make this. i just am addicted to soba but its a pity that i can't get it hear in belfast. thanks for reminding me what i'd been missing.

homeladychef said...

haha Angie, so you imported tian mian jiang yourself :p

Hi Cindy, nice seeing you here :) Ya, what a pity that you can't get it there. :(

Chef E said...

One of my favorites! I have been on an Asian kick lately... So pretty on that container!

tigerfish said...

I love soba and almost used it like any other noodles too :p

Nath said...

Soba.. simple but delish!

homeladychef said...

Hi Chef E! That's the normal container for soba, to drain excess water. :)

Hi Tigerfish! I share you experience :)

Nath: Yup, simple and nice for everyone :)

Jessica604 said...

I'm a little behind in my Google reader and just got to this tastespotting entry now!

Glad I did though. I'll have to keep an eye out for the soba sauce!

homeladychef said...

Hi Jessica, nice having you here! I hope that you will enjoy soba as much as i do ;)

Similar Food

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin