Sunday, August 30, 2009

My Sushi Experience

Otoro (Abt $25.60 for 7 slices) & Yellow Tail ($15 for 7 slices)

Otoro is the most desired part of the tuna belly that usually does not appear on the menus. It is light pink in colour and sometimes almost white due to its fat content, it will melt once it hits your pallet and will leave behind a lingering taste.

It is the best sushi experience I had.
Toro or otoro is rich with omega 3 oils, are commonly thought as the same section of the tuna . Compared to a regular tuna belly, it is distinctly more marbled, and lighter in color.

Uni aka Sea urchin ($9 per piece)

Sea urchin is small and spiky. When I saw them while snorkeling, I would rather not eating it. Things changed. When I first heard in news that if they were left unchecked, urchins will devastate their environment, creating what biologists call an urchin barren, devoid of macroalgae and associated fauna. I decided to save our environment by 'cutting down their population'.

The taste can sometimes vary depending upon the region it is harvested from and whether or not it is in season (June - Sept). Generally, it has a buttery or creamy consistency that some love (like me!). Sea Urchins are a rare treat for those who acquire the taste. Best to enjoy them as sashimi or nigiri. The highest grade is a bright yellow/gold (Grade A) with a firm texture and somewhat sweet. Grade B uni is a more muted yellow and has a softer texture and is less sweet, while Grade C uni is referred to as 'vana' and is often the parts left over from uni that has broken apart during processing or handling.

I presume this is grade B.

Clockwise direction from back: Sea urchin, chu-toro ($9 per piece) and amberjack ($7 per piece).
Chu-toro is slightly to the rear of the tuna and is less fatty, therefore less expensive. It is pink in colour.

Amberjack (quote from http://www.sushiencyclopedia.com/sushi_menu/amberjack_sushi.html)

In Japanese sushi terminology, the amberjack is is grouped as one of the "Big Three Yellowtails " which consist of yellowtail, yellowtail amberjack, and the amberjack. They are all considered luxury fishes. All are of the same genus, and only differ slightly. The amberjack is considered best during the Summer. Compared to it's cousins, it is lower in oil, and the flesh is a little softer. It has a pale white flesh and because of its delicate taste, it is sometimes aged in the refrigerator for about 1~2 days to intensify the flavors. Amberjack tastes refreshing when consumed with salt and citrus.

Sashimi don ($14) - to taste different types of freshly cut fish such as salmon, sword fish and tuna in one bowl. Rainbow-like colours excite my appetite and better the entire sushi experience. Sakuraya Restaurant at village centre, west coast of Singapore, along Pasir Panjang road.

13 comments:

Dora said...

U did not invite my It Meows staff to share the experience? ;p

Angie's Recipes said...

You are the master in making Sushi!

Angie's Recipes

Chef E said...

Oh how I love my sushi...although I will not eat 'white tuna' or escolar as is its true name, but I do my job in helping deplete the uni population as well :)

Your sushi is beautiful!

noobcook said...

wah! all the premium stuff. Looks good and had me drooling :D~

tigerfish said...

I want some sashimi! Real fresh ones...

Food For Tots said...

What a sushi feast to my eyes! Must be a very expensive meal.

Debs said...

Interesting post. Great photos too, I love asian food and regularly post on chinese/thai/indian.

TasteHongKong said...

Nicely presented photos and foods.
Thanks.

homeladychef said...

Dora: Opps! sorry forgot your meow staff like sushi as well. :p

Angie & Chef E : actually these are not made by me. :)

noobcook, tigerfish & food for tots: Actually I would like somemore! I am thinking of having sushi at least once everyweek. hehe :)

Indigo said...

This looks so stunning - the sashimi bowl in particularly is incredible, and I think I could definitely do my bit in decreasing the sea urchin population...

kitchen witch said...

I only came to try sushi upon meeting my husband. I'm so glad he introduced me to it, lo those twelve years ago. Now, I am equally glad to know that I am doing my part to save the oceans when eating (and enjoying) uni! Gluttony with a righteous cause; what could be better? :)

Anyway, I found you through TasteSpotting and am writing to say that if you have any photos that aren’t accepted there, I’d love to publish them. Visit my new site (below), it’s a lot of fun! I hope you will consider it.

Best,
Casey
Editor
www.tastestopping.wordpress.com

homeladychef said...

Indigo: Haha...great minds think alike. ;)

Casey: Yup, why not? ;)

pigpigscorner said...

The otoro looks amazing!

Similar Food

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin